When we talk about the oldest nut there is, which was first introduced in Iran and Iraq. Now it is being produced in many countries. They are available in many forms shelled, unshelled, sweetened or salted. It must be stored in airtight containers in cool and dry place for it last for a longer time.
We have been talking about the nut pistachios, which contain many nutrients that are very useful for overall health. It contains proteins, vitamins like A, K, C, E, B6, minerals, dietary fibre, and fats. It also contains lower calorie content as compared to the other nuts. It is rich in protein and has lowest fat content.
- It reduces the bad cholesterol LDL, and at the same time also aids in increasing good cholesterol HDL in our body, hence avoids heart relating ailments. Increasing the good cholesterol will also improve blood cholesterol levels.
- As it has vitamin A, E and anti-inflammatory features it reduces irritation in the body. Vitamin B6 can increase the haemoglobin count by increasing the oxygen in blood stream. This increase in the white blood cells helps in preventing various cancer and infections. When the oxygen rich blood reaches the brain, it makes the brain more active. The amino acids in the nut help in apt transmission of nerves impulses. Vitamin B6 increases the strong immune structure. As it rich in Vitamin E, which is an antioxidant, Pistachios play a vital role in maintaining healthy skin. It protects the skin from sun damage, also from sunburns and skin cancer. Vitamin E also aid in fighting with the ageing process. Oils in this nut moisturize the skin. We could also use the pistachio oil in place of regular moisturizer in order to get smooth and silky skin. The oil is also used as curative massage oil.
- Pistachios have lower calories, high proteins hence ideal for weight management.
- It has high copper content, which helps in the higher absorption of iron into the body hence helping the body to fight against Anemia.
- It prevents from Macular degeneration, which is an age related eye disease. The elders are unable to read and recognize people. The anti oxidants present in it fights against the radicals and destroys them by preventing the cells from damage. It is good for maintaining healthy vision.
- The vital fatty acids in it help in preserving a healthy, strong and glowing complexion. The fiber content in it helps in smooth digestion. The anti-oxidants present in it helps in building a defence system against diabetes.
- There are many benefits to our hair as well. It stimulates the growth because of the fatty acids present in it. It also makes the hair strong by strengthening gorgeous hair. Also treats split ends, dehydrated and colour damaged hair. It also fights hair loss.
Types and process of storing
We know that it is available in different forms like shelled, unshelled, salted, roasted etc. However it is advisable to get the raw and shelled and not the processed one, as they tend to loose many nutritious values. We need to stock them in a sealed, airtight container. We could also freeze them for an year.
We have seen the health benefits and if you wanted to get this in your kid’s daily routine you could always add it in cookies, breads, biscuits, muffins, salads, add it with some cheese spreads for sandwiches, you could as well add it on top of any ice cream and it all goes into the body. They are very famous among the nuts for their nutritious benefits.