There is nothing more hurtful for a parent than seeing a troubled teen. If you have a troubled teen suffering from mental, emotional and substance abuse, it is crucial that he/she knows you are there. It is time that you look for help in the form of wilderness therapy.
Here’s what you should know about wilderness therapy:
What is wilderness therapy?
Wilderness therapy is also called outdoor behavioral healthcare. It is a mode of treatment specially designed for teens seeking emotional, mental and substance abuse treatments. The extraordinary setting promotes self re-discovery. It can also encourage participants to learn and grow.
How does it work?
The main goal of wilderness therapy is to remove the teens from toxic environment and influences. Wilderness therapy provides students with a place away from distractions like friends, home, school, and electronics. There will be mentors who will guide the teens. At the end of the therapy, the teens should be able to gain valuable insights, re-discover their inner strengths and look forward to the future. It is not easy but it is surely worth it at the end of the day.
Basically, the therapy will include camping and engaging in outdoor activities with certified professionals. Teens will surely learn valuable skills like fishing, camping, rock climbing and many more.
How to find the right one?
If your teen is not finding success at traditional schools and therapies, it is important that you consider arizona wilderness therapy. It is known for its restorative effects. Looking for the right program is not easy because of the overwhelming options. However, you can narrow down your options through this:
- The first thing that you should do is to look for referrals or recommendations. If you know fellow parents having the same problem, ask if they know of a reliable therapy program.
- The next thing that you should consider is checking the program’s website. Their website will provide you with enough information especially the testimonials or feedbacks from other teens or parents. You will also see the company details or information from their company address to contact number.
- Another thing that you should do is check the years of experience. Their experience will reflect their success rate. It is also important to check if they have no license suspensions, operating issues, and investigations.
- You also need to consider the administration and staff. The staff should be particularly licensed or certified in whatever positions they are holding. Their experience in handling adolescents matter.
- Apart from that, you also need to check the program’s safety plans since your teen will spend most of his/her time outside.
- More importantly, ask if the program also provide specialised treatment plans.
Is wilderness therapy the same with adventure therapy?
You have to know that wilderness therapy is under adventure therapy. The difference is the therapeutic approaches. Wilderness therapy promotes adaptability and endurance through primitive skills. Adventure therapy, on the other hand, comprises of outdoor activities that present degree of risk.
If it is for the well being of your child, you have to do everything in your own power to support and love him/her no matter what.